Dominican students are provided with the support they need to navigate their course load. Academic support programs are readily available for any student who needs assistance.
Mazzuchelli Academic Center
The Mazzuchelli Academic Center (MAC) offers a broad range of resources and services to Dominican students and faculty. The MAC staff works with our students and faculty to offer support in the following areas:
- Student Resource Center Services
- Tutoring Services
- Faculty Tutoring
- Small group and independent work areas
- Small class presentation areas
- Technology Support
Student Resource Center Services
- The Student Resource Center (SRC) provides services and resources for qualifying students who need additional academic skill reinforcement (Applied Learning Strategies class).
- Applied Learning Strategies Course: Freshmen and sophomore students that are assigned to the SRC will work 1 on 1, and in small groups to improve their work habits and study skills. Placement in this course is made by recommendation from DHS Administration only. For more information on this program please contact our Director of Student Programs, Vinnie Murray, at email@example.com.
- Student and adult volunteers are available at varying points of the school day to assist students with their academics
- Faculty members are available during Dominican’s lunch/resource hours to assist students who may need assistance in researching a topic, math, science, or in writing a research paper.
- Students who are in need of technology assistance will have access to students and faculty members who are trained in identifying and addressing any issues with a student’s laptop or in helping with a technology project that a student might be working on.
The Knights Interdisciplinary Curriculum (KIC) program offers freshmen a guided transition into the Dominican family, while integrated the academic experiences of students in four different fields of study; English, Religion, Social Studies and Technology. Each day, KIC teachers meet to discuss how each student’s specific needs can be met to develop unique talents and give support where needed, taking an individualized approach to instruction. The KIC program will:
- Offer students the best possible academic program.
- Provide all students will the academic skills needed to succeed in a rigorous college preparatory program.
- Breakdown the social boundaries normally associated with a high school transition.
- Integrate cutting edge technology into tradition academic programs.
- Identify struggling students and design academic support programs to help them succeed.
- Special Needs Accommodations: Dominican does offer accommodations for students who have been medically diagnosed with mild learning disabilities or other learning issues. Accommodations are provided based on medical/psychological test information provided to Dominican by the student’s parent or guardian, previous school district, or independent psychologist/psychiatrist. Accommodations may include organizational assistance, extended time testing, or other accommodations as indicated within their Dominican Accommodation Plan.
- For more information on how to obtain long or short term accommodations at Dominican, please download SRC Form A.
- For more information on how to obtain accommodations on standardized tests please download SRC Form B.
- For an example of what type of report a doctor would provide in order to receive long term accommodations at Dominican please download SRC Form C.